Wednesday 25 January 2012

Claridge's, good slippers and a moisturising dilemmas

It's 10pm on Wednesday which means that I have now officially been up for 40 hours and yet here I am, blogging. If that doesn't show dedication I don't know what does! :) 


As I said in my last post, I had a job yesterday for Claridge's Hotel which is an incredible 5 star, art deco hotel in Mayfair, London. We were shooting the hotel's new promotional material which will be used in the Maybourne magazine, as well as the website and worldwide brochures. 


The shoot went well; it was pretty tough going as we worked right through the night but what made it bearable (apart from a constant stream of cake to keep sugar levels up and slippers that felt like you were walking on clouds) was the makeup, courtesy of the lovely Karen Mason, and the preeeety clothes and bags - mainly from Mulberry. 


The brief was decedant elegance - make-up was kept in soft nude browns eyes, using Chanel Illusion D'ombre, a glossy nude lip from Bobbie Brown and loads of highlight. Karen also finished off the look with some corner lashes on the outer edges of the eye which is something I've never tried on myself before but it just finished off the look perfectly. 


Odd colour difference because of rubbish hotel lighting
The hair was changed several times but the base itself started off with barrel curling the hair and then pinning it up to keep it in shape. This allowed the hair a bit more texture when going in to the up do's and made the look more modern. Here's a little sample of one of the finished looks.
Dress by Amanda Wakeley
Even though it was tough to stay awake, I enjoyed this shoot a lot, the whole team were so friendly and I cant wait to see the finished shots - which I of course will be sharing with you once I'm allowed :).

However, on the shoot, Karen noted that colour just "falls of your skin", meaning that for some reason, make up finds it really hard to just. stay. on. my. face. It's something that I've noticed before now and when I asked why, she said it was because of two things; 1. Not drinking enough water (oops!) 2. Moisturiser's that don't work for my skin. In the past, I've blamed it on bad foundations/no primer, not really knowing any better.

So with that, I'm now embarking on a hunt for a new moisturiser for my combination skin! I currently use the Boots Botanics Pore Perfecting Day Moisture Lotion, which is lovely and light but clearly isn't doing enough for my skin in the day. Ideally, I want to keep it under £20 as my mother already thinks less of me for using anything other than baby lotion!

So ladies, what's your favourite moisturiser? 

Heather xo

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love your site, check mine out when you get a chance. The link is: http://www.beautypatootie.com :)

    ReplyDelete